permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Looking for arracacha & melloco

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Looking for arracacha & melloco
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:26:03 -0700

Yacon a son gout, y'all!

You might want a recipe for the day you've enough to snarf a bunch. One bus
ride in Peru the gringa I was sitting with caught the assistant driver's
fancy and so we got to sit at the crew table when we stopped at a
restaurant. Instead of a chicken dinner we got boiled roots with a sort of
pesto.
Just boil a mess of fava beans, assorted color potatos, mashua and oca. Make
a pesto with Tagetes minuta marigold leaves (aka "stinking Roger" in OZ) and
hot peppers and a bit of veg oil and salt. Dip the spuds, beans and roots in
the pesto and eat.
A very pleasant change from fried food and rice it was.
Tagetes minuta is a great companion crop too, nematacide and nectary plant.
Definitely part of the guild.

-Rick