permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 9

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 9
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:49:28 -0700

I would check with Permacultura America Latina (PAL) at <carlosmiller@buriti.com.br>. They have been doing work in the tropics for many years
and in the equatorial wet tropics at that. I believe that they have found that compost, green manure, and mulch to be the answer. Their project in Manaus is on an abandoned field of the local agricultural college and when it was given to them it wouldn't grow ants, they initially thought it was a joke. The joke turned out to be on the college as the PAL site is the most productive site of all the college projects and attracts more interest.

They produce a lot of compost and, a by product, worms. I would also contact Ronaldo Leck in Guatamala <IMAP@intelnet.net.gt> Instituto Meso America Permacultura, or Juan Rojas <permacultura@terra.com.sv> in El Salvador. Both of these men have extensive knowledge of traditional agricultural methods in Central America.

Good Luck,
Scott Pittman