permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Coir as an alternative to peat

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Coir as an alternative to peat
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:10:14 -0500

Coir is lovely to work with. It looks, feels, and acts like peat. I used it when I lived in CA where it was easier to find than here in NC. Peat moss takes a REALLY LONG TIME to regenerate. I forget HOW long, but maybe someone else has that data.
Keith

CindraZone@aol.com wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience using coir as an alternative to peat for propagation? If so how did you like it?
Also, I'm teaching a class on propagating with seeds this weekend and want to have my facts right. Is peat moss nonrenewable or just slow to regenerate. I've read conflicting info and hope someone can shed some light.
Thanks,
Cindra
No longer lurking