permaculture - [permaculture] Re: PC Academia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: PC Academia
  • Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 19:07:06 -0700

I just received this announcement and thought I should share it.  I believe this is a PC first where University credit is being given for a PC training course.  I know that Permacultura America Latina or PAL has been working hard to get this school off the ground as well as initiating five projects around Brazil.  The work they have been doing is ground breaking and I would like to congratulate them for their accomplishments.

Scott Pittman

My dear friends

Whew! Finally that I am fifty I have some pretty cool news.

On March 22nd 2003 - (Persian New Year) the University of Brasilia will be recognizing the 4 month applied permaculture program to be held in the Mollison School for Sustainable Studies. Upon completion an equivalent of 24 university credits will be granted in the fields of five subjects: agriculture, biology, architecture, engineering and forestry. This school is located on the grounds of the Instituto Permacultura e Ecovilas do Cerrado in Pirenopolis, Goias (central Brazil).

The first course will probably begin for ten students in late July. The University of Barcelona will also be sending 30 architecture students for a similar program later in the year. The school is currently training Latin American PC leaders project leaders from the PAL network using the Ecoversidade curriculum.

I am not sure what the developing status of PC vis a vis universities in other continents - and I would like to know - but this is a first in Latin America and I am hoping more will follow within a year.

Equatorially yours as ever

Ali Sharif