permaculture - [permaculture] Never say Never

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jeff <jko@save-net.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Never say Never
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:40:02 -0800

On Monday 30 December 2002 08:01 am, Graham Burnett wrote:
> > I think the point is being missed- I was explaining a principle, not
> > saying 'I use chemicals on my garden'.

The phrase "never say never" is interesting. The words themselves
are contradictory and also informative. We say "never" and at the
same time say we will "never say never". This may not seem significant=
,
but for me it is the key. It points to the principle... "our world has
few absolutes". Almost everything is relative or connected
to something else.

We use the term "poison" as if it is an absolute statement but many
vitamines are "poison" in large quantity. Even water is classified a
poison if taken in large amounts. The point is this, just about everyth=
ing
can be found in nature and saying "never" about anything (even roundup)
may have a fuzzy side.

The real debate can occur once we dump absolute words and ideas.
Then, the conversation becomes a struggle between two or more views.
We can take a dynamic position between the extremes and gather
information to support our thinking. In other words ongoing education,
observation, design. and (Permaculture?).

jeff (never uses roundup, no way, absolutely never)<grin>