permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture as "organic"?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mbgrey <mbgrey@mnp.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture as "organic"?
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:46:07 -0500

Hello Marshall,
Up until last year I was certified organic in Ohio, USA, growing herbs and
veggies. I decided that organic was not useful to me financially. I will
continue to use organic methods and build soil, but the organic
certification was unnecessary. This may seem strange in the US since the big
hoo-ha here about certification becoming federal. Other than the money it
costs to be certified I did not like living with the idea of an inspection
every year. Since I am doing what I am doing organically and have done so
for the past 21 years why should I open my house, fields, and privacy to an
inspector, and pay to do so. What decided me last year was the rule on
compost. I had to prove that 160 degrees had been reached. Using no animal
wastes in my compost means that when it is cooked, I don't have to worry
about anything. A few tomato volunteers don't bother me and proving it
seemed ridiculous. I thought, how easy it would be to fake this proof.
(consider large facilities with large amounts of manure to handle) Then I
thought I am tired of proving anything. Then I thought what will happen when
all the paperwork and costs are taken over by the feds - Yikes. So I quit. I
am not a permaculturist yet - I just take the best thoughts and try to apply
them to my small situation.
Marty Grey