permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Where you from?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rob.sheppard@btinternet.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Where you from?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:44:24 +0000 (GMT)

Hi - I've been lurking on this list for a while, picking up the odd tip here
and there.

My name's Rob, and I live in Romford, UK - a small to medium sized town in
the county of Essex in the South-East of England - just east of London,
Romford is also in the most easterly London Borough of Havering.

Well, reading about people's tens of acres of land will make this seem
"quaint", but I have a suburban garden measuring about 100 foot by 25 foot.
Its runs north-south, with the house (a modest Victorian semi circa 1890) on
the southern end (front room catches lots of sun and is good for growing
plants indoors).

At the moment the garden is in transtion - I've lived here for exactly one
year, and being completely new to gardening and permaculture, I've spent most
of that year reading and thinking rather than doing. But now I've made a
start - the weekend just gone I planted 3 fruit trees and three more will go
in next weekend. The garden is basically overgrown grass with 6 existing ash
trees of various ages. The transition is to a forest (woodland seems more
appropriate) garden, and since I'm vegan I will be using vegan-organic
principles, composting, mainly no dig, raised beds, mulches etc. The idea is
to grow a few fruit and veg to eat, and also to learn about forest gardening
with a view to taking on a bigger plot in the future.

Can't remember where I first heard about Pc, but I like its joined up
thinking and the fact that it offers solutions rather than just the usual
"don't do this and don't do that" as most people concerned about the
environment do.

Well, that's about all for now,
Cheers,
Rob Sheppard