permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Green Party

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: One of the Markows <tbag.markow@verizon.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Green Party
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:03:11 -0400

Claude,

I'm going to duck this loaded issue by saying that I've come to believe
that it's impossible to govern 265 million people (and growing)
effectively. I really don't think the Greens can because they have to
plug into the same system that's broken down for the other two parties.
Up until a month ago I was a member of the Green Party, but came to
realize that their failure is built into the system. IMO, until we tackle
the systemic problems, anything that comes about within the current system
is doomed to be co-opted and ultimately fail, as anything unsustainable
must.

BTW, I no more believe that working within the Democratic Party will get
us any further along in terms of sustainable living than I do the
Republicans. The only difference is that the Reps do what they do and
don't care what you think, while the Dems do the same thing and smile and
say they "feel your pain." A pox on both their houses!

Ted

PS. I do think there are already models out there which could lead us to
a sustainable meme (tribal cultures), but I highly doubt that we will
adopt any of them - willingly.