permaculture - [permaculture] Why ramps?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Donna Jones" <djones@kodiak.alaska.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Why ramps?
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:44:20 -0800

Dear Mark,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, the local would be best, and I would check
the farmer's market if there were one closer than (maybe) Anchorage, 250
air miles away. I don't think that ramps grow wild at all in Alaska. I
have found a seed source for the wild Alaska onion, which is basically a
variety of chives. My idea in trying ramps is that this is a member of
the allium family that might do well in the extremely limited ecosystem
here.

Kodiak Island can grow a limited number of plants; limits are imposed by
temperatures (70F is a very high temp in summer, and the soil never
reaches warm germinating temperatures), acid soil (4.5), an 8 inch
compacted layer of volcanic sand from the Katmai eruption in 1912 under
1-2 inches of spruce duff, and the most remarkable number of slugs you
could possibly imagine. I am having to look to nonnatives for
biological diversity and things to eat.

  • [permaculture] Why ramps?, Donna Jones, 06/04/2002