permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] pasture and acid soils

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Heide Hermary <heidehermary@pacificcoast.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] pasture and acid soils
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:31:15 -0700

I am wondering about the logic of this and would like to see some tissue test
results
re: % of protein. William Albrecht showed that alfalfa grown in soils low
in calcium
(i.e. acidic) had a significantly lower protein content than alfalfa grown in
soils
with plenty of calcium.

So first off, the "nutrient" (protein) content of alfalfa and other
leguminous plants
varies greatly, depending on the acidity of the soil.

Secondly then the claim that this clover is as nutritious as alfalfa becomes
somewhat
meaningless.

I am not trying to say this plant has no value in agriculture, but if we want
practice truly sustainable agriculture we need to make sure it sustains us as
well.
Some soils do not have the (available) raw materials to make good food for
us, or for
the animals we eat. So we either need to modify the soil, or farm elsewhere
if we want
to be healthy. Otherwise farming is just an exercise in (environmental)
horticulture.

Heide