permaculture - [permaculture] RE: Imitating fire + tree shredding equipmennt

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marshall Chrostowski" <mcfarm@silcom.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] RE: Imitating fire + tree shredding equipmennt
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 18:35:03 -0700

Toby,

I believe that you are overstating the role of proto-modern humans in
modifying the face of the earth with fire. To suggest that chaparral elfin
forests came into existence with the arrival of humans carrying fire
strains credularity. These vegetation associations are unique to local and
climate and have their morphological analogs in other geographic regions
referred to as "mediterranean."

There are many examples of "fire climaxes" with associated fauna. Herbivores
have formed vast herds, for example, in the Western Hemisphere, prior to the
arrival of Man. I doubt that these faunal assemblies munched through humid
closed forests. In my experience as an ecologist, natural fires are forces
of renewal/regeneration, and flora and fauna over large regions have long
adapted with and evolved with the recurrence of fire.

Desertification is a fact and human beings have played a role in perhaps
accelerating the process; however, climates have been warming and often
drying since the height of the last continental glaciations. Humans advanced
into relatively open and harsh terrain as the ice sheets "retreated" in the
Old World, advancing finally into the New World still partly ice-bound and
largely open in the northern latitudes. Archaeological evidence points to
dependence on migratory herbivores during the early millenia.

Marshall