permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Re: Imitating fire + tree shredding equipmen

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Re: Imitating fire + tree shredding equipmen
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 02 12:37:55 -0000

Re browser deficit - adam wrote:
> I know that Indians here in the States used to set
>fires to clear the understory, causing sudden growth of small seedlings,
>which attracted deer for the Indians to hunt.
Same with the Aboriginals in Australia (except they were attracting
kangaroos etc) - Tim Flannery (The Future Eaters) suggests the fire-stick
culture came about because the megafauna had been wiped out (e.g. grass
eating wombats the size of rhinos) - easy prey for early Aboriginal
hunters. He also attributes this practice of using fire for cultivation
and managing the environment to the development of the fire ecology of
today as only fire tolerant & resistant species survive and fire
sensitive (and often retarding) species get wiped out so you have a more
combustable environment and more (bigger) fires.....

I've a lot of thoughts about fire and cool-burning practice but no time
to elaborate just now.
Robyn