permaculture - [permaculture] wood ash

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "J. Hobbs" <hobbsj@efn.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] wood ash
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:33:12 -0700

Scott, here is a long-winded answer to your comment, with some additional info that might be of interest to the list:

Wood ashes contain significant amounts of calcium and potassium, as well as having a liming effect (from the Calcium and Magnesium)- raising the pH in acidic soils.
Hardwoods, when burned, produce a greater percent of ash than softwood. The ash content varies with the tree species ,the part of the tree, the age of the tree, season of felling and the method of burning.
Mineral content:
Potassium: between 10% and 35%
Phosphorus: less than 10%
Calcium: 12% and 25%
Magnesium: 3% and 6%

Ash from a cord of hardwood would meet the potassium needs of a garden 60'X70' and ash from soft wood would meet the needs of a garden 30'X30'.
As a rule of thumb, 10 to 15 #'s of wood ash could be applied to 1000sq.' garden, annually.- Be sure not to apply to gardens that already have high potassium content.
I also apply wood ash to my compost pile in thin layers.

If too much ash is applied salts will leach into the soil creating a harmful effect on the plants.

Fresh dry wood ash contains chemical compounds that readily absorb water. Insects avoid ash since this material draws water from their tissues. (only works when ash is dry).

Potassium is often called potash because it is found in 'pot ashes'.

Jude

Are you sure it's phosphorous? I have always heard it was potassium that
you got from wood ash. Just checkin'

Scott P.

--

  • [permaculture] wood ash, J. Hobbs, 04/24/2002