permaculture - Re: [permaculture] FW: I.D. 4 me Please....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] FW: I.D. 4 me Please....
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 15:08:55 -0600

At 05:13 PM 3/30/02 -0500, you wrote:

Hi All,

Can someone tell me what this is ? I coulda swore I sowed winter rye but am
being told this may be crab grass ? ( Either way, I'm amazed at how well it
wintered - it's as green as it was in fall !)

As this is covering about half my food forest ( had 56 holes dug today !)
The important thing I want to know is: do I need to till it out and replace
with clover/wildflowers - or can I work with it ?
Looks like rye to me, but my graphics board is pretty poor. Crab grass is a warm season annual so it's almost certainly not that. Rye will be growing tall and heading out this season, so you probably should till it in. If you wait a while you will get some weed suppression and some corse high C material that should help with restoration by tieing up free N and thereby suppressing weed growth.
Mark L