permaculture - [permaculture] Silicon as fungal spray

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Elijah Smith" <elijah@hilobay.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Silicon as fungal spray
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:55:35 -1000

Title: Re: Holmgren Collected Writings
Hoping to get a usefully rollicking discussion going here...

 I'm sorta working with a nursery in the area (Hawaii) that is staffed by a pretty traditional crowd but is owned and run by a guy who's willing to try new things.  So far, I'm turning the cuttings, etc into compost, trying to phase out vermiculite for the (locally available) cinder, brewing compost tea, etc.

I've heard, mostly through anecdotes and biodynamics texts, that silica is an effective remedy for mildew & fungus diseases.  Currently, the nursery is using some sorta biocide spray for this (we're on the wet side of the island).  When the ironwood discussion came up, Robyn posted a quick and simply ironwood tea recipe for fungal spray.  This would be cool, cheap, local, etc but I need some sorta reference to back up these claims.  Does anyone know of any studies, reports, books, etc to that effect?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

 Thanks,
   Elijah