permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Dryland greenhouse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Dryland greenhouse
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:37:43 -0600

>The plumber suggest putting the
> water pipes 5 feet below ground to avoid any freezing.

Put a strip of rigid foam insulation above them in their trenches and
you can probably just put them a foot or two down - same concept as the
FPSF, creating a little strip of earth under the insulation sheltered
from air and sky (radiation heat loss) temps.

Folks,
I agree with everything but this. If this is a critical water line I would bury it good and deep. The winters seem to get goofyer all the time and snow cover that gives some insolation has gotten less reliable. For this reason alone I think sticking with proven depths is more critical these days. I have been forced to try the foam due to rock in the past and have frozen up the lines.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK