permaculture - [permaculture] New Permaculture list at YahooGroups

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Will" <willbeck@bellsouth.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] New Permaculture list at YahooGroups
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:33:22 -0500

Hello all,

I'm the listowner/moderator of the new Perm-I [Permaculture-International]
list at YahooGroups. I started the list a couple of weeks ago in response
to posts on another permaculture list at Yahoo complaining that the previous
list did not archive messages, and was therefore of limited usefulness. The
list owner of that previous list apparently unsubscribed himself from his
own list, and has not been responding to emails for months. I'm somewhat
experienced with Yahoo lists -- I own/moderate three lists for breeders of
rare, heritage and endangered breeds of poultry and waterfowl, and
participate in a large number of other agriculture, gardening and livestock
lists -- so I set up the new list primarily as a service to existing Yahoo
permaculture list members who had expressed an interest in having a more
active experience. It does archive messages, and also has working Files,
Photos and Bookmark sections.

We're in the early phases of growth at the moment. About 70 people have
signed up for the list in the first week or so, but there is very little
message traffic so far. (Not exatly surprising. I don't think any of the
existing permaculture lists are "high traffic.") I'm in the process of
trying to get some feedback from list subscribers over there on what
direction they'd like to see the list go in, but the initial impression that
I have from the few posts so far is that it's going to focus more on
beginner's questions, as a pointer to resources, and on permaculture
applications on a smaller scale (i.e., backyard, garden, and hobby farm).

I also get the impression that most of the subscribers on my list are
neither trained in permaculture, nor are they connected to the internet
permaculture community -- they seem to be searching for information on basic
resources, introductory workshops, and general information. Anyone who'd
like to post information to the list about upcoming training, existing web
pages, or other events or resources is certainly welcome to do so.

subscribe by sending a blank email to Perm_I-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and
replying to the automatic message that is sent back to you. If you're not
familiar with the YahooGroups system, setting yourself to daily digest or
"no email" is done by clicking on the "Edit My Membership" link on the top
right hand side of the list home page. If you have any questions about the
process, please email me -- YahooGroups Help system leaves a lot to be
desired. Also please feel free to email me if you have any comments or
suggestions.

Thanks.

Will Beckwith
Asheville, North Carolina