permaculture - [permaculture] Re: pesticides and Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson <lakinroe@silcom.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: pesticides and Permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 06:26:20 -0800

hi everyone
just got an email from a friend in a Permaculture Community in Mexico who is here in Santa Barbara and received an email from her community in Mexico. I was wondering what the collective wisdom is on Pesticides and there use in Permaculture
wes
here is her email and

Hi, just writing to you cause I'm too lazy to do the
research, I guess, and thought that you might know
quicker where to find the official Permaculture stand
on if pesticides are ever used in this system. More
than one of my neighbors in our "Permaculture"
community have been using pesticides, as documented by
the following email. Comments? Comments I can share
with the community? thanks for your help,
barbara

Dear Barbara:

I spoke Colin about pesticides, and it was true.

He said that according to permaculture principles, one
must try to use natural means, but
if one is unsuccessful, one may use chemicals. He
had those leaf cutter
ants, and he said they destroyed 5 trees he hadplanted. He said he
had no choice.

Basically, we have all been misled in different ways
when buying this land, and there is really nothing we can do about it.
I don't see that Colin tried other methods before resorting to poisons.
I thought we had to do everything organically on the land, but apparently
not everyone agrees.

_