permaculture - Re: plants DB - indigenious

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: 1earth permaculture <permaculture1@start.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: plants DB - indigenious
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 16:03:25 +1000

Russ wrote:
>> If she is proposing that it be used by non-Aboriginies, then this
would imply that some sharing of knowledge of the plant in question
take place, even on a person-by-person basis.

That's exactly how the knowledge is passed in aboriginal society -
when the individual is 'ready' for the next phase of their teaching,
the knowledge is passed onto them, face-to-face. Medicine teachings
are for those who have a great deal of maturity.

Due to the 'Monsanta mindset' (my words), she says that 'white fella
isn't ready'. That's not to say she has 'reverse racism' as you
suggest, as she shares her knowledge readily with those who respect
her culture, whether they be black or white. She is referring to the
'1 in a 100' as someone else on this list coined them.

Because of the '1 in a 100' white fellas who still take advantage of
the third world, some things are being withheld. As you point out,
that '1 in a 100' has often been the botanist who has slyly gained the
trust of the indigenous to learn, only to later publish and patent
their 'discovery' for their own gain. Unfortunately, the 1 in a 100
will always be with us - we live in a pluralist society after all.

Russ, I also found your first reply to be very confronting and
somewhat disrespectful to indigenious culture. Science isn't some
kind of God that needs endless sacrifices and must be worshipped above
everything else.

As my aboriginal friend says, science has made some amazing advances
this last 200 years, perhaps this is the century when mankind will
make advances in spirituality and humanity.

On a lighter note Russ, I saw in an earlier posting that you went to
UTS - me too :) I also grew up around Sutherland and fought many huge
bushfires when I was there, so I emphasise with your current
situation.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Marcus