permaculture - Re: cover crop prior to fruit trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: cover crop prior to fruit trees
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:23:21 -0500

"something deep rooted" is definitely the right track.

My suggestion: don't limit yourself to one kind of crop. You can do a series
of plantings and/or plant several out together and see what happens.
Last year I used Fedco's soil building mix which is peas, oats and vetch.
The peas come up first, fix nitrogen for the oats which provide trellis for
the peas, and then the vetch pulls the whole lot down.

Just to see what would happen, I chucked in some left over buckwheat and
clover. Some took. All of it was food for my free range chickens.

Claude Genest

"The Greatest Fine Art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land."
- Abraham Lincoln
Green Mountain Permaculture : Solutions, Sustainability, Sustenance....