permaculture - Re: pc in Afghanistan

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "keller" <ak.and.ak@on-line.de>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: pc in Afghanistan
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:22:50 +0200

Maybe it is usefull to draw on the experiences of others who have tried to
apply permaculture in war or refugee situations.

There is an organisation in Zimbabwe (SAFIRE) that seems to have some
experience with permaculture in refugee situations:

http://www.safireweb.org/index.html

http://www.cyberplexafrica.com/fingaz/99/stage/archive/990408/farming9015.ht
ml is an article containing a report about a workshop done by SAFIRE.

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/mag/Articles/rwanda.html is an article about
the work of permaculture designer John Hunwick in Rwanda. This is an example
of prmaculture applied in a refugee/war/postwar situation.

The Macedonian project I mentioned yesterday is obviously about
rehabillitation of a refugee camp after it has been closed. So that is not
exactly applicable to the situation in Afghanistan, but experiences gained
there might become relevant later. I also find it an excellent idea to use
an abandoned refugee camp as a means to introduce permaculture in an area
and improve the lives of the people living there. Some Information about it
I found on th web:
http://www.rudina.org.mk/english.htm
http://www.nwlcc.com/pdfs/vol3_1.pdf

http://www.careaustralia.com.au/jordan.htm mentions a project in Jordania
where permaculture techniques where taught to refugee women.

There are obviously some NGOs involved (like CARE) who have some experience
with permaculture. I suggest that the macedonians (www.rudina.org.mk) should
be contacted.

Andreas