permaculture - Woollen insulation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <flickwright@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Woollen insulation
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:52:09 +1000

Just a quick one about woollen insulation in houses. We put it in the roof of
our house in Adelaide, South Australia (mediterranean climate)in 1994 and
have had good results BUT did hear on the grapevine a few years ago about an
eco housing development in Western Australia that had used the insulation
extensively and had major problems with infestation of bugs and had to remove
the lot.

Sorry, no details and maybe it was a particular product/company but worth
checking on. Made me think twice.

flick wright

    It's too bad the wool went to China. It will return to world markets, especially the  US, as CHEAP finished goods-- probably as clothing and bedding -- and kill small businesses that are currently marketing products of wool coming from small farm networks. The price of wool will plummet and sustainable agriculture will take another spin on the wheel of misfortune.
    We just purchased a wool topper for our mattress and a wool comforter, both wrapped in organic cotton, from a small business. The wool comes from a small farm network in the Sonoma Valley of California.  Sustainability in agriculture will only occur when consumers make a conscious effort to support non-industrial farmers and pay more to do so. The prices seem high in the short term, but it is definitely an investment in the future, especially in our rural communities.
    Thanks for the info on wool insulation. After I posted my inquirey, I searched the web and found several companies in Australia producing insulation. I have found no one doing this in the US. Here they use the bogus term of mineral wool which isn't wool at all.

Steve Bonney
Sustainable Earth, a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to the development of sustainable food and farming systems
100 Georgton Ct.
W. Lafayette, IN 47906
(765) 463-9366