permaculture - Re: Australia Felix Permaculture Update

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "sustainableearth.steve" <sustainableearth.steve@verizon.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Australia Felix Permaculture Update
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:55:46 -0500

Darren,
    Your recent accomplishments are amazing. My congratulations.
    I am keenly interested in wool for house insulation. Did you encapsulate the wool? Here in the temperate Midwest of the U.S.,  the issues about wool would be insect infestation and damage, degradation of the wool over time in a humid climate, and flammability.
    I am developing an eco-farm and want to demonstrate building with materials that are natural, low-tech, and local resources. Insulation is a critical factor in this context. Although the popularity of wool for clothing and bedding is increasing in the US , prices for wool have been in the toilet for several years. A demand for wool insulation could stimulate a network of regional businesses connected to family farms. This could provide needed economic sustainability in the family farm sector.
    Of related interest (insulation, that is), someone on the ferrocement list recommends clay coated straw as insulation with good R values.  However, he is in Austin, Texas, which is much drier than Indiana. and the same issues exist here.
Best,
Steve

Steve Bonney
Sustainable Earth, a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to the development of sustainable food and farming systems
100 Georgton Ct.
W. Lafayette, IN 47906
(765) 463-9366