permaculture - Re: Take action now to save mail order shipping of poultry.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Take action now to save mail order shipping of poultry.
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:23:10 -0500

The ability to mail order certain animals is very convenient and sometimes
important. In the case of fowl, there are certain breeds that can not be
purchased locally. Bee hives may require annual requeening, especially in
areas where Africanized honey bees pose a threat to the domestication of
more docile breeds. In some places in Texas, it is the law that hives be
requeened annually. The only way to obtain honey bee queens (Apis mellifera)
reliably free of variety scutella or adonsii genes (African strains) is from
areas of the world where they have never been introduced, such as Hawaii.
The ability to obtain species and varieties desired is a wonderful
convenience that allows for unique animal husbandry where it may previously
have not been possible. Please do not be so hasty to condemn a practice that
has brought so much to so many.

Kevin Topek