permaculture - Re: David Holmgren's views Permaculture trademark alert

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Holmgren & Su Dennett <holmgren@netconnect.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: David Holmgren's views Permaculture trademark alert
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:05:37 +1000

As indicated in message from Michael Dehan, I was a late opponent of a previous, now withdrawn attempt to trademark Permaculture in Australia by persons unconnected with the movement. I am not surprised by this current claim by Bill and Lisa Mollison although it is obviously most unfortunate.

Various contributors this these list serves have made useful practical and philosphical points and Toby Hemmingway's and Scott Pitman's stories are particularly instructive.

I am head down on completing the manuscript of my own book which could infringe Bill's sense of copyright/trademark even more than Toby's. I have no intention of engaging in any such exchanges and will publish my work regardless.

I agree that the work goes on whether it is called permaculture or not and as long ago as 1980 considered not associating myself with the promotion of permaculture. Over time the good work emerging from the movement convinced me the term permaculture was more useful than not and have become more solid in that conviction.

My main concern it that others who have devoted so much to promoting and developing permaculture are being treated in this way.

Although I think Intellectual Property Australia should reject this application as invalid by their own assessment, a formal opposition would greatly increase the likelihood of a favourable outcome and provide an insurance that any future claims are rejected.

Ideally the opposition should come from the widest representative body in Australia such as Permaculture International Limited.

I would like to acknowledge the work of permaculture colleage Michael Dahan in mounting my previous objection which was done at very short notice. I am prepared to submit an objection to this current application if necessary.

David Holmgren

--
David Holmgren & Su Dennett
Holmgren Design Services