permaculture - Re: Deer and Herons

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Deer and Herons
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 01 08:56:19 -0700

>I've been thinking how to protect a tiny pond of fish from herons but
>maintain its ornamental aspects. The solution may be a battery powered
>motion detector that controls the valve of a sprinkler. The offending warm
>blooded animal or forgetful or unwarned human would get a shot of water for
>30 seconds when detected.
I've heard of motion detectors turning on lights and sound at fence
openings (like a driveway) to scare deer.
I've seen nylon monofilament strung above a pond for herons, and heard of
some success using decoy heron sculptures ("somebody's already fishing")
but you must move the decoy often...
-Rick

  • Re: Deer and Herons, rick valley, 06/15/2001