permaculture - Re: steep slopes; teosinte

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: bestworms@usa.net <bestworms@usa.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: steep slopes; teosinte
  • Date: 4 Jun 2001 08:52:25 MDT

rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com> wrote:
>Working on too steep a slope is one of the most
common "pushing-the-limits" things I see people doing with earthworks.
But most seem to get away with it. The Lord looks out for 'em, I guess.
-Rick
--------------

...until the predictable dynamics eventually result in pressure
release/slumping/landslide or other divine intervention with avoidable
damages. Probably best to keep safe with good, long-term design to start, and
"push-the limits" somewhere with a gentler risk/return ratio.

Which tangentially reminds me of genetic manipulation practiced with poor
design. One practical conscientious response for personal enjoyment and
if/when "genetic engineers" really screw up:

I have teosinte seed for those who'll grow it this year and then make seed
available to others. [see:
http://www.andes.missouri.edu/personal/dmartinez/diffusion/msg00338.html]

Send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
Akiva
POB 315
Ojai, CA 93024

Free, or include donation of your choosing to "Ecospirit Seeds" a community
nonprofit project. Seed requests must arrive by June 21.

all the best,
Akiva

  • Re: steep slopes; teosinte, bestworms, 06/04/2001