permaculture - Re: swales and earthworks

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: swales and earthworks
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 01 00:17:12 -0700

Larry Santoyo sez;
>-You don't want
>to work on too steep or too shallow of a soil profile, even in the
>northeast but especially in the west, bedrock can be quite close to
>the surface especially on hills...under those conditions, cutting
>swales for infiltration has caused landslides, flooding and erosion
yeah, infiltration needs soil to work! But you *could* do some artful
quarrying, I suppose! Working on too steep a slope is one of the most
common "pushing-the-limits" things I see people doing with earthworks.
But most seem to get away with it. The Lord looks out for 'em, I guess.
-Rick

  • Re: swales and earthworks, rick valley, 06/04/2001