permaculture - Re: Pheasants and Guinea Fowl

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mikal Jakubal <mjakubal@asis.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pheasants and Guinea Fowl
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 18:43:37 -0700

>Would like information about pheasants and also would like to know
>reliable sources of purchasing Guinea fowl in North Central Victoria,
>Australia if possible and of course any information on Guinea Fowl welcome

Hi,
Check out:
<http://www.cyborganic.com/People/feathersite/Poultry/Guineas/BRKGuineas.html>

There is also a pheasant page and links. A search under "guinea fowl"
should bring up tons of on-line info.

I've got four guineas. They are in a cage right now, till I finish the
fence. I'm hoping that'll keep them from casually wandering out on to the
road. They do like to wander! One thing I've done to make them easier to
get home is bell-trained them. They have their own bell that they'll come
to. Start when they're little by ringing it every time you feed them. Since
they prefer bugs to anything, get a can of meal worms or grasshoppers or
somesuch to reinforce the bell. Keep at it consistently, and they'll be as
well trained as any dog. This seems to work with just about any fowl,
though I've not tried it with pheasants. Works great with cats too.

Have fun,
Mikal