permaculture - Re: Dummies guide to viruses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mitra <mitra_lists@earth.path.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dummies guide to viruses
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:49:57 +1000

Good point - and notice that Brett brettinspect@iquest.net is infected with a virus which sends out files called PICS.ZIP.SCR

If you ignore the instructions I sent, and click on that file, you will be infected.

- Mitra

At 09:33 AM 5/23/2001 +0100, Richard Morris wrote:
> From: Mitra <mitra_lists@earth.path.net>
>
> I'm a techie, on all these non-techie lists, I guess its time to write
> something useful to repay all the good advice I've received ...
>
> In particular do NOT EVER OPEN ANYTHING ENDING IN .EXE .VBS or .SCR these
> are really commonly used for viruses. There have been programs sent around
> as one of these which trashed systems but just looked like something fun.

Another one to watch for is .PIF which is something like Program
Information
File, basically a program in disguise. Quite a common extension for
viruses.

Rich
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Main Site: Blagdon Cross Plant Research and Demonstration Gardens,

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: mitra_lists@earth.path.net
Get the list FAQ at: http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/permaculture.faq