permaculture - Re: Hawks and windmills

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: stephan leimroth <slimerote@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hawks and windmills
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:12:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:19:17 -0400, igg
<igg@intrepid.net>
wrote:

>I have a hard time believing that hawks will fly into
>a spinning blade, but I imagine I'm wrong about that.
>I would think that someone has developed a way to
make >wind generators safe for hawks.

i would guess one windmill will not endanger too many
large birds.
though i know a large commercial wind farm in
california, mistakenly built on a migration path, (on
altamont pass, hwy 580) has killed 200 large birds in
one year. the only cure for windfarms is replacing
the small, fast spinning turbines with large, slow
ones.

good luck,
stephan leimroth