permaculture - Re: worms-humanure

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: worms-humanure
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:39:00 -0500

Verne,
The worm you would need to work with would be the red wiggler, red worm, or
manure
worm, often found, not so oddly enough, near or in piles of manure on farms,
also
commonly found in worm boxes world wide. Generally available via mail. Best
to find
locally. (Worm Digest Quarterly would have lots of details and they sell back
issues.)
Worms don't work alone either, remember. There are lots of critters who will
assist in
the work if they have access; pillbugs, millipedes (both love fungi digested
wood as
do worms), mites, and many more. Carbon / Nitrogen ratio is important as for
composts. Different materials, different recipes. With woodier carbon, that's
the
place for fungi to specialize (simpler sugars like molasses corn syrup can
speed
innoculation of the medium). If straw or paper is your soft carbon medium,
worms can
get into it faster. With human manures its smart to cover the beds to avoid
oversaturation from heavy rains and possible leaching ( or make a swale to
catch the
leachate ). So, enough worms, enough doody, and enough carbon {more or less
depending), enough water, enough air....these and other factors will
determine the
quality and digestedness of the end product.

Read everything at Elaine Ingham's Soil Foodweb (<soilfoodweb.com>?)site for
more
detail on soils, soil life and composting and more.

Keith Johnson