permaculture - Re: home made fertilizer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: home made fertilizer
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 01 12:03:38 +1100

Re: urine in sawdust

>Toby Hemenway, wrote: I prefer
>using fine shavings unless I can get coarse sawdust, because the sawdust
>from all but the big mill saws is too fine, and often packs down into a
>gooey, anaerobic lump that gets really foul in the center and is hard to
>spread out evenly in a compost pile.

We have a sawdust-composting urinal here at Djanbung Gardens - actually
got Council approval to set it up for the Australasian PC Convergence
held here 4 years ago & has been in operation since. The approval was
given mainly on the basis of the dedicated composting system I designed
for it.
Key problem with composting buckets of urine saturated sawdust is the
excess liquid, compacting potential and resulting anaerobic conditions.
Compost bay has a 30-40 cm dry straw base to absorb liquid and the urinal
sawdust is alternated with thin layers of dry straw for aeration - works
well.
Robyn