permaculture - Re: Wood shavings in compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Wood shavings in compost
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 01 10:54:49 -0700

>Wood shavings in compost
keeping the language basic, my view is that it is *crucial* to have woody
material in compost if you want the best compost. Ya need wood, clay (mineral
dirt) and nitrogen, which can be from green leafy stuff or "vit. P"(animal
source)
Maybe it's the mineral/lignin combo that leads to good humus? The nitrogen is
what gets it moving, it seems. For sure, diversity of ingredients adds magic.
But w/o woody stuff, ya don't get fluff- that wonderful light texture.
Animal bedding wood shavings are great; I use all I can afford to bring in.
Most of my compost wood, however, comes courtesy of muscle and cold Sheffield
steel, in the form of slashed blackberries, broom and alders. (note that the
last two are nitrogen fixing woody plants)
cookin' away!
-Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

  • Re: Wood shavings in compost, rick valley, 03/02/2001