permaculture - Plastic Contamination

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: donahuer@ols.net (Randy )
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Plastic Contamination
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 01:36:13 -0500 (EST)

Hello again:

I am using large plastic tubs to transport water. I am
not going to store water in them for any period of time. They have been
rinsed with water inside and out, and allowed to sit exposed to the
elements. How can I clean them to reduce the amount of plastic/ plasticizer
contamination in the water? Would baking soda or rubbing alcohol work?
There is another dillemna with contamination. I had a
large order of compost delivered that I found to contain a large amount of
plastic and (perhaps treated)wood waste. The company that I bought it from
has been dicking around for quite a while. I am going to post an
advertisement to give it to anyone who wants it for free, just to get it off
my land. . . on the condition that it is not used with edibles. What kind of
substances occur when soft and hard plastic are heated within a large
compost pile? Is there a firm that I can send a sample to? How should I
rehabilitate the land where it was located/ leaching?
Also: What substances are commonly used to treat
lumber, and what kind of diagnostics can be used to detect them in the soil?
I would really appreciate any piece of mind you can provide.

Thank you,
Donahuer@ols.net