permaculture - Re: SEWA

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SEWA
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1981 08:59:59 -0200

I came from there the day before yesterday. Escaped the earthquake by three
days... The villages that SEWA works with are precisely those which were
flattened by the earthquake, and Ahmedabad itself (a city of 3.5 nillions ,
where SEWA has headquarters) lost 20%of its constructions. As the regions
were already down and out due to a 3-year drought, this earthquake on top of
it is unimaginably disastrous. So, yes, they were the ones who were most
affected by the problem...They have an insurance program for disasters, but
I am sure that it will be far from adequate, and that they could certainly
use as much help as possible. There are a number of funds being set up, and
there probably is one in the Netherlands. If not, I can try to find out
from our contacts what would be the best way to get funds to SEWA....

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
Brazil
http://www.geocities.com/ipbbr