permaculture - Re: cranberries (wetland crops)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: cranberries (wetland crops)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 01 09:30:38 -0700

>What do you mean about "the weed situation" with cranberries ?

The primary maintenance task with crans is weed control; they're low and
woody, ie, they break when you're hoeing or pulling tangly weeds, and don't
grow as fast as the weeds. Weed control is a major reason growers use
flooding to cultivate them. But they don't need flooding to grow. I have no
idea of their Ph needs- lime is a lack here, not acid, so I've never added
those headings to my data bank.
A person on the NAFEX list says she's been growing crans under blueberries;
I've done the same with Gaultheria miqueliana which is also creepy and
Ericaceous; this makes sense to me; one mulch, one bird net, two or more
crops. Of course, without flooding to float the berries, you'll need to hand
pick while you grovel. Hence the idea of not doing crans on a commercial
scale- just enough for the sacred harvest feast side dish.
-Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

  • Re: cranberries (wetland crops), rick valley, 01/10/2001