permaculture - RE: permaculture digest: November 30, 2000

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "MARSHALL CHROSTOWSKI" <mcfarm@silcom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: permaculture digest: November 30, 2000
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:06:24 -0800

This has been an enlightening Digest, even upsetting for that matter. Sorry
if i offended you toby but I am not a great fan of, or diviner of special
meanings assigned to statements known to the aficiandos. Just a long time
professional ecologist, horticulturist and organic farmer. I too have been
to the wars about riparian matters in the southwest and agree with your
judgments about the true effects of tree/brush removal...my comments were
restricted to nonriparian and oases situtations. Sorry you don't believe in
evaportranspiration rates...guess my orchard clients are losing money and
the State-wide CIMAS system is a ripoff.

But Sal is my biggest disappointment. Sal and I go way back; I farm maybe 7
miles from him and when I was prez of our local CCOF chapter, he was Veep.
I inspected his acres a half dozen times, often for free. I like Sal,
everybody does. And Tuesday night Sal came to our annual dinner where we
heard the Executive Director and the President of the Board of Directors of
CCOF explain, apologize, agonize, and promise to fight the USDA on the 5%
rule. There never will be allowable GMO, Biosolids, or Irradiated
components in processed food and none at all in primary production sold as
certified organic. CCOF is ready to walk. Sal ranted and ranted some more,
not listening and then came to this board and ranted some more. I share his
concerns more so than he realizes since I have never chosen to become
certified and no longer call my produce organic and suffer some for this
stance. CCOF's staff and Board are in the process of reviewing it's role in
this whole mess. Just remember, the Fed. regs are not for you or me, they

are for the wholesalers, international traders, ADM types. ISO plus, so to
speak. The WTO can veto any regs they deem against trade policies. And
there are NAFTA and what's left of GATT. We need out.

So, the time for bi..hing is over. Go the Civil Disobedience route. But be
sure of your facts. It's like the alleged gmo corn pollution in Australia,
another kind of Urban Myth. Glickman is a semiprogressive politician and the
quote ascribed to him is either wrong of he's looking for a job at ADM or
Cargil in a few months. LOL

Face it, nearly every processed food in the US already has gmo stuff in it,
including organic. And it wasn't from pollen drift or incidental
co-mingling of product. All those byproducts of corn, soy, cotton, safflower
(canola), and potato (starch and modified products from it) which are added
to processed foods are transgenic in part. McDonald's frenchfries. A couple
of years ago, there probably wasn't a GMO-free fructose in any product,
conventional or organic.

So pick a war you can win. Minimum: total labeling (let the consumers run
the ba...rds off.) Second: Certification of wholely organic entities only.
Third: Certified grower operations must be mixed crop and livestock and
actually manage the operation wholistically. Fourth: The USDA to certify the
certifiers and that's it; no spot inspections, no onerous fees or fines.
Finally: (maybe) mandatory certification for operations grossing more than
$100,000 and adjusted for inflation. Small farmers, permaculturists, market
gardeners can continue to serve their local communities and be honored as
organic, small o.

When the fed. rules appear in the next few months, California expects 1400
more organic growers seeking certification. CCOF is and will be the
cheapest certifier so it expects 400 new small-farm applicants, each one
costing $1,000 to certify. Small growers (under $20,000) now pay $100 to
renew plus inspection costs. They and all other growers and processor will
be asked to pay and added $100/year. So who pays for the difference? A few
big certified farmers and processing companies who pay one half of one
percent on gross sales up to a cap value.