permaculture - Permaculture pattern languages?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <johns@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Permaculture pattern languages?
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 00:15:56 -0700

Aloha,

I am contemplating working on creating some pattern language patterns
relevant to permaculture. Anyone know of any existing work of this nature
in the realm of permaculture, and/or interested in messing about with such
also? It will be a sort of experiment at first, to see how Alexander et
al's patterns for formulating pattern languages can be used (as they clearly
feel they can) in other similar yet different contexts.

I suspect an activity of this sort could also help with what some apparently
see as splinterings and/or divergences in various "permaculture" curricula.
An ongoing collaborative effort to create a collection of relevant patterns
might lead to a pattern language foundation for a more consistent consensual
core curriculum (say that ten times fast... ;-). (What is the "original"
curriculum, anyhow? Where and how is it written down?)

For those who wonder what the heck I'm talking about...I'm talking about
pattern languages as described and exemplified in "The Timeless Way of
Building" by Christopher Alexander and "A Pattern Language" by Alexander,
Ishikawa and Silverstein with Jacobson, Fiksdahl-King and Angel. Great
stuff! I think their approach could be of benefit to perma-culture.

John Schinnerer
Cultural & Ecological Designing
Human Habitat Design
john@eco-living.net