permaculture - Re: [Fwd: PCU article]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Vint Lawrence <vlawrence@nets.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: PCU article]
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:22:26 -0600

Skye wrote:

> Great to hear of the new Credit Union in New Mexico. Congratulations!!!!!
>
> However I'd like to point out that the first Permaculture Credit Union was
> actually
> started over 12 years ago!!! Well known community worker Jill Jordon
> attended an
> Alternative Economics Summit organised by a radical thinker by the name of
> Bill
> Mollison, at his home in Stanley, Tasmania back about 15 years ago. She
> returned to her
> home town of Maleny, Queensland inspired. With her usual efficiecy it
> didn't take long
> before there was a series of public meetings, and the Maleny and District
> Credit Union
> opened it doors about 12 or a bit more years ago.

We stand corrected and should have said "possibly the first Permaculture
Credit Union in
the Western Hemisphere". The PCU was inspired by the Maleny Credit Union and
our original
organizing activities were based around many principles borrowed from them as
well as the
Alternatives Federal Credit Union in Ithaca, New York, another hotr bed of
new cooperative
ideas (Ithaca Hours).

Bill Mollison was in on the organizing/inspiration of the PCU as well, on a
visit to Santa
Fe in 1996 and a meeting/think tank in Santa Rosa subsequent to that. Little
did we know
at the time that the bureaucracy would delay us for so long. We felt it
would be
important to be able to provide "insured deposits" (up to $100,000).

Thanks for your support and for setting the record straight.

Vint Lawrence
on behalf of the Permaculture Credit Union