permaculture - Re: dirty hands philosophy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <johns@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dirty hands philosophy
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:42:00 -0700

Aloha,

> From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
> ...Again using science as an analogy, the people who do philosophy of
> science--trying to figure out how science works and what it's doing--are
> usually not the same people who are actually doing science.

In other words, they've taken a distinction and made it a separation, and
in some cases made it an opposition (philosophers vs. scientists, as though
they were two different species... ;-).

> Or more
> precisely, most scientists don't care one whit about the philosophy
behind
> it.

With results such as Hiroshima, nerve gas, genetic manipulation,
etc....loss of systemic perspective seems inevitably pathogenic.

> I'd venture that the same it true here: the majority of practicing
> permies want to get their hands dirty, and may be less interested in a
> long-winded philosophical discussion...

Which is jolly good, as long as the systemic origins and perspectives of
Permaculture ("lived philosophy?") are embodied as part of "getting (our)
hands dirty!"

John Schinnerer
Cultural & Ecological Designing
Human Habitat Design
john@eco-living.net
http://eco-living.net

  • Re: dirty hands philosophy, John Schinnerer, 09/14/2000