permaculture - chickens again

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: permaculture institute <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: abqpc@igc.topica.com, <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: chickens again
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 15:18:46 -0600

dear all,

would like to ask for personal experiences with using chickens on vegetable beds. This is first time for us - before we kept chickens on grass and alfalfa, or free range and now want to use them for reconditioning garden beds. I am interested if anyone knows how long you can keep tractor on the same spot without destroying soil organisms and/or soil tilth. Is it better to move them frequently and let them work same area many times, or let them be over a bed for extended period of time, say 2 weeks, and return them back next year?

Permaculture Institute
Students and graduates in 14 countries
(Australia, USA, Cameroon, Nepal, Bali, Israel, Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador,
Russia, Ukraine, Belarus.)