permaculture - Re: Native vs non-native.... all theory thread DESIGN PRINCIPLES

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Native vs non-native.... all theory thread DESIGN PRINCIPLES
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:46:16

On 08/29/00, "mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>" wrote:
Toby:
> > Most of this planet has been manipulated by
> > humans, and that needs to be kept in mind when we dream of "restoring" a
> > former flora.

Mangodance:
> I'm not sure why you think we should keep
> in mind human manipulation when thinking about "restoration".
> Why would this be appropriate?

Why would this NOT be appropriate? Most restoration projects take place
because of human interaction and manipulation, it would most definitely be
appropriate to seek out solutions to problems that we have created keeping
in mind what/why/how we created the problem in the first place. Should we
not learn from past mistakes?

Please notice I use 'restoration', not rehab, as you first need to restore
something of the original which you took away before the whole can be
rehabed. You can't rehab a wetland that's been tiled, drained and
cultivated as there is nothing left to rehab. You must purchase first some
of the wetland and prarie plants to begin restoration, to jump start the
marsh, to hold the water, to rebuild the habitat, to bring back the
wildlife, and on and on....

conserve, preserve, restore, cultivate, protect, reforest
Blessings,
Ava