permaculture - Acorns

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sfram@citycom.com (unruLEE)
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Acorns
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:35:56 -0800

Hello all,

I wonder if there is anyone close to me who is experienced with processing
acorns for food, who would be interested in facilitating a workshop on it
(or at least showing me). I divide my time between the San Francisco bay
area and the Sierra Nevada foothills NW of Yosemite. I'll be hosting a
gathering with the acorn theme in November, but have mostly just read a
bunch and tried leaching a little. Below is an invitation to the
gathering.

Thanks, UnruLEE

Acorn Harvest Party & Mini-Skillshare
November 9th-12 At Ruby Hill in the Central Sierra Nevada Foothills

Learn how to leach and cook acorns in the Black Oak belt, at about
3000 feet in elevation where the most prized acorns are found, amidst
cedars and ponderosa pines. The central location will be "Ruby Hill
House," 5 acres bordering national forest, with a small house, a well, a
piano, and open workshop space. About 10 minutes walk away is a
traditional Miwok acorn-grinding site with a bedrock of mortors and
pestles. 10 minutes walk another direction is a waterfall to play in.
This gathering is intended to be one of feasting and enjoyment as well as
learning.
There is also potential for various Do-It-Yourself skillshare
activities from solar system set up and use, to home-made musical
instrument making, welding and permaculture. Please contact us if you want
to facilitate a workshop, or just to let us know if you're coming so that
supplies and rides can be coordinated, etc. Hitch-hiking through the
central valley is likely to suck.
(510) 343-2139 x2297; sfram@citycom.com; P.O.Box 1022, Twain Harte,
CA 95383

  • Acorns, unruLEE, 08/30/2000