permaculture - big picture on DESIGN PRINCIPLES

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "askpv" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Permaculture visions email group" <Permaculturevisions@Egroups. Com>
  • Subject: big picture on DESIGN PRINCIPLES
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:53:03 +1000

It may be best to discuss Design Principles in context of overall permaculture design philosophy:

The list i submitted was part of a big treatise on the subject : Natural system and design.

Beneath the principles in my ideas structure, flows strategies. (and above principles are the over-riding ethics of care and respect)
Within permaculture strategies are methods/features/opportunites such as local resources (good and bad).

Dan Earle and I spent much time sorting out what were principles and what we strategies. The Design Handbook seems to muddle the two.
Maybe you are right, maybe we need to more strongly emphasis appropriate technology as a principle. (it was listed but maybe it needs defining to show that it
promotes local resources and techniques.

Permaculture is not about absorbing someone elses writing, it is about triggering observation.
For me, there was no sense in reinventing the wheel, i read, i collated, (which is part of my personal working where it counts principle) i shared, (which is part of my share of surplus ethic)
and then i tried lot of things such as sheet mulching, composting, water harvesting, LETS, seed saving,
erosion control, weed management, intergrated pest control, native species regeneration by succession (all these are strategies
and most importantly I observed what works for me.

I am pleased to know i will never have all the answers.  this is one field that continues to provide me with intellectual awe.

as for setting principles "in stone" we would not be able to converse on the internet if early man  hadn't bothered to develop some standards - some common tools eg. basic language, if someone following hadn't bothered to concieve writing, if no-one bothered to form schools, to teach us some basic language tools and millions of us hadn't bothered to learn how to plug the things together and link up on the net.

Permaculture is growing up (it is 21!),
it needs a language, a base from which to grow.  it needs strength in its foundations and there has to be an improvement, a future beyond
the designer manual.
I'm not afraid to re-order and update the stones or dare suggest we make some extra ones.  :>

April