permaculture - Re: Logo Symbolism & other threads

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: 1Earth Permaculture <permaculture@start.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Logo Symbolism & other threads
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:24:56 +1000

Robyn wrote:
>The 'PRI head' you refer to I assume is Geoff Lawton who has no more
>authority on the subject than any other Pc teacher. PRI paid Bill
>Mollison $250 for a licence to use the egg symbol for merchandise.
Bill
>only gives this licence for 2 years. I've been disturbed by the way
PRI
>have used the egg symbol as their PRI logo which has led a lot of
people
>to think that PRI is the authoritive institute.

Correct, but of course that wasn't pointed out to me at the time.
Thanks for clearing up the roles of the various institutes.

I wonder what the College of Graduates is, that Bill refers to in the
Permaculture Designer's Manual? Bill Mollison wrote:
"Permaculture ... copyright is vested in the Permaculture Institutes
and their College of Graduates".

Geoff told me that meant the Graduates themselves - but we should
clear this up.

Robyn wrote:
>I was previously under a similar assumption to what Marcus stated and
>have used the symbol in a low-key way only in association with
>information about PDC's and The Permaculture Institute - I recently
>received a request from The Permaculture Institute (Bill & Lisa
Mollison)
>to remove it from my material or risk legal action.

From the numerous private messages I've received on this topic that
most of us have been under the assumption that we could use the
permaculture material to promote Bill's work. Obviously this changes
with the trademark issued last week to Bill.

I got my logo from Amazon books - under my contract with them I can
use the book cover on my websites to promote and sell the book. This
falls under the "fair use" clauses of book copyright. My websites
have always had a link to the book right next to the logo, but since
seeing this thread I've put the link to the book directly onto the
book cover and begun work on the new front page for the website. As
Bill benefits financially from the sale of the book, the book cover
can be used to promote it. Regardless, I've written to Bill on my
situation.

I have hundreds of book covers on my sites - I think that it is ironic
that the only one under some sort of dispute is the Permaculture
Manual, when the site is permacult.com.au and is permaculture based!
ROFLMAO

Marcus