permaculture - Re: intercropping dryland legumes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: intercropping dryland legumes
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 00 14:42:08 -0700

>Mesquite (Prosopis spp.) also
>creates a fairly light canopy as I remember. That is one of the reasons I
>thought it was interesting: it seemed possible to grow things under it. The
>pods are edible too.
The best ice cream I ever had was from goat milk from mesquite-pod-fed goats
in N. Peru; and they also make a wonderful syrup from the pods there.
And legume timber can be de la primera clase, too; Ironwood (Olneya) is
amazing stuff if you have a Sonoran climate...
And then there's shrubs and perennials like Astragalus- not just a locoweed,
there are herbal species too. "Legumes of World Importance"by Duke is a nice
start.
-Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)929-7152 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

  • Re: intercropping dryland legumes, rick valley, 07/13/2000