permaculture - Re: all theory thread

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Judith Hanna <jehanna@gn.apc.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: all theory thread
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 14:15:06 +0100

Bob Howard wrote:

>Consider these differences between reproductive and productive work
>
>1. Reproductive work is cyclical; productive work is linear, with
>respect to time.
>2. Reproductive work is time compulsory; productive work is time
>voluntary.
>3. Reproductive work is necessarily social; productive work is socially
>necessary.

The thought that leaps to my mind is that 'reproductive work' is the base
cause of the current plague level of human over-population... Does O'Brien
acknowledge this issue?

Of course, the point is more complicated than that. Kids are cute, and once
you have them (or animals), yes, they need to be looked after well.I guess
O'Brien points out that a lot of it is repetitive, mind-numbing routine,
which is drudgery unless you are doing it from love. And that the work
itself goes unremarked, often unthanked -- but the results of neglecting it
tend to be awfully obvious.

But I'm not sure that 'reproductive' work is the best term for it -- just
that it makes a catchy pair with 'productive'. You might better call it
'sustaining' or 'nurturing' work.

The other side of 'sustaining' is 'creative' -- making something new, as
opposed to just caring for what is there. That is the problematic aspect of
'reproductive' -- does the world need more of what is being reproduced?

Possibly a case of a useful perspective carried away by a catchy but
perverse bit of punning terminology?

Nice to have someone from Albany on the list -- my parents retired there,
and my Mother still lives in the town. A lovely place to visit (though,
living in London, I don't get there often)

Judith

Judith Hanna
jehanna@gn.apc.org
15 Jansons Rd, Tottenham, London N15 4JU