permaculture - Re: interplanting with dryland legume trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: interplanting with dryland legume trees
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:31:52 -0600

I just returned from West Texas where the mesquite has been subject to countless eradication programs, none of which worked. A cousin of mine has pruned these hardy plants into upright tree form and they form a wonderful canopy. I wouldn't worry too much about their taking water as they are a very deep rooted plant and your fruit trees are surface feeders and receive their moisture nearer the surface.

When Bill Mollison and I were in Israel we noticed that the mesquite was used as a light shade plant in the desert and the plants underneath seemed to thrive.

Scott Pittman