permaculture - Suggestions/What Next..You guys are AWESOME!!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Suggestions/What Next..You guys are AWESOME!!
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:45:08 GMT

Dearest List Members:
This is my last little post until mid-July and I wanted to take the opportunity to let each and every one of you know that your input has been most valuable. I have printed everyone's suggestions and taken them with me in a notebook, I didn't want to forget or miss a thing and this will help prompt my thoughts. I think I'll share it with 'the girls', also and then we can begin a discussion regarding their thoughts.

It's probably a good time now to meet the girls briefly. Nicole, A+ Honor Roll student until this year, now has 4 F's and 1 D on her report card. Family problems, mom's drunken/drugged much younger boyfriend who doesn't work is back and creates havoc in Nicole's world. Nicole has always been strong, went to school to LEARN, not make friends (her words), will not end up like her mother and will have a good life. She's losing the game this year. She's fallen in with others that she has let guide her in an entirely different direction, she needs reminding and alot of love and care. She'll do well this trip and maybe find herself again. I know it's hard for her, she's needy and socially backward due to her family life and her shame of it. She has dreams of becoming a Holistic Healer, she'll make it, we'll help her. She already has her mother approval and permission to permanently move to CO with us when we go. She went to the Silver Sword Academy in Durango 2 years ago to check it out for the future. Please pray for her.

Melissa, average student, has a loving/nurturing family, both parents are educators and believe that not all of the best education comes from the classroom. Melissa is a follower. When there's danger apparent, she'll back away only to be convinced by her peers that she should be the first one in. We had a very dangerous situation with that last year, followed a cattle path to the very end (after being bullied into it) and slipped over the edge of the canyon. Thank God we weren't too far ahead. Had to send one of the others to run for my husband and another that were quite away's ahead of us on the hike. Thank God he can make tracks in quick time. I held her but couldn't pull her up, Randy couldn't pull her up either. So he climbed over the edge of the canyon, put his arm around her and soothed her,she put her arm around his neck, they made a plan and when she was ready, they pushed off and jumped into the creek. That was frightening but the only way. They were okay, not a bruise, sprain or strain. Pretty muddy though. Melissa is slightly overweight, but she has learned alot on our trips about her health and living foods. She still tries to eat a good diet now, but her weight seems to be the thing that allows others to manipulate her. She's becoming more comfortable with herself and 'who' she is now, isn't as likely to be pushed into doing something she doesn't want to.

Nicole and Melissa are both wonderful beings and they're on a very long journey of discovery. They both trip and fall a little on their chosen paths, but they get back up. I think that's just part of the learning and discovery process. They'll be okay. And they still look at the world with wonder, amazement and appreciation! It's heart- warming and I'm honored to be a part of their journey.

Each one of you is also making a difference in their lives by taking such an interest in them and making suggestions that will help them in their journey. I praise you all for that, those who answered my query personally and on the list, and also those of you who may not have had a suggestion, but send out your hearts to them.

I'll send a very long report when I return, including little notes regarding some things that happened previous to my asking for suggestions re: alot of 'little' mentions here and there of the Stone People Clan, traditional sweat lodges I was invited to 'out of no-where' in CO during our time there, a book I received and a personal contact with two members of the 'Clan' that I had never met or heard of.

Once again, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!

Blessings and Namaste!
Ava